Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

Why is a career in the security services not appealing to the Youth ???

Discussion in 'National Politics' started by Manmohan Yadav, Jul 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Manmohan Yadav

Manmohan Yadav Brigadier STAR MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    Why is a career in the security services not as appealing to the Youth as the private sector.

Indian Forces are greatly short on the Trained Officers.

I came across many college students in past few days, and have also heard a lot about this matter, they are willing to join Banks, Managements, entrepreneurship, etc, etc

Every time, we hear the same thing, the career in armed forces are not so appealing as the carrers in the Private sector or government.

What is short there:

Pays, Incentives, Lack of Appeal ???

Indian Armed Forces are a greatly respected Institution in our country and Abroad as well,
    but what are they lacking, what needs to be done to attract more Youth towards a carrer in the Forces. :sad:

I was rejected in the Forces on the basis of weak eye sight so was my younger brother, but our nation has scores of fully fit people. :yes4:

2. ek_indian

ek_indian Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Some of the reasons might be:

(1) Indian armed forces never negotiate with quality no matter what. This is the reason very few gets into the forces.

(2) People tend to choose profession where you are not on toes everytime. Since armed forces demand for continuous commitment and display of skills, this have adverse psychological impact.

(3) Even if armed forces wish to, they can not have large number of officers. We have thousands of engineering, medical, business schools but too few institutions which trains soldiers.

(4) Since security forces in general and army in particular carries wome risk which may go upto life threating situations, parents hesitate to allow their wards opting it.

3. Naren1987

Naren1987 Captain SENIOR MEMBER

The armed forces have always had their academies full, it's the retention that is the problem.

I'd point out to low pay and our armed forces being too old fashioned and orthodox the number 1 reason.
    Besides, our political class treats our soldiers like garbage, just take a look at the Artillery for example.

4. rcscwc

rcscwc Major SENIOR MEMBER

I beg to differ a bit.
    And final selection is with the military. Usually sons of senior officers are found to have this "quality".

Military is not in front line everywhere. Against all odds it is ITBP, BSF etc who gaurd our frontiers routinely. They are the first line of defence and are always on toes, with far less salaries and facililities and perks.

Military cannot be given any institute that wants. Engg, medical collegges graduates get into military. So do B.Scs, M.Scs. What stops military from recruitment of these?

Lately, there is an increasing trend that CRPF faces such situations. See their unequal fight against Maoists, which our military is unwilling to share. IAF even refuses to provide CRPF logistical support.

Quality: As a young graduate, I was rejected by GREF for the post of Supt. B&R Gd-I, but later found fit for an officer post by UPSC.

5. GUNS-N- ROSES

GUNS-N- ROSES Major SENIOR MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    ^^^^^
    HTML:
    Lately, there is an increasing trend that CRPF faces such situations. See their unequal fight against Maoists, which our military is unwilling to share. IAF even refuses to provide CRPF logistical support
    military resuses to share for justifiable reasons. there is a thread running on why military should not be used for maoists ops. i suggest u go through that.

air force itself has shortages of choppers so there wd have been times where it could have provided support to CRPF.

6. RoYaN

RoYaN Lt. Colonel ELITE MEMBER

Pay!!!!

7. Manmohan Yadav

Country Flag:
    India
    Well i pretty much agree with everyone more or less,
    so it certainly makes you wonder,
    how much more effeor is needed to improve the conditions for the army and
    the para military forces

8. ek_indian

ek_indian Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

I do not find this theory convincing. There is nothing wrong in selection of anyone unless something shows it is not through proper method. One of the reasons why officers's son gets into the armed forces, is the conditioning in which they are brought up. They are familier with many psychological aspects assiciated with the institutions.

Generally BSF, ITBP etc. etc. are comes an unbrella name called army. It is too academic to say they are different when we talk aabout general pupulation. Besides this they too suffer from shortage of officers.

I think purpose of my statement is not well understood.

9. Manmohan Yadav

Country Flag:
    India
    hows the pay for the Para military forces in India,
    any idea guys :pop:

10. Mike

Mike Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Simple answer:

> Indian youth of today are softies who want a cushy life.
    > A 9AM to 5PM job.
    > Unfortunately, they don't know what a great life they're missing in the Armed forces!
    > No sense of adventure left in the youth of today.

11. rcscwc

rcscwc Major SENIOR MEMBER

Pay, perks, allowances and pensions are better than those of their civilian counterparts across the board. A Garrision Engr in OG draws mush more that a civilian GE.

You where is Akhnoor? The Akhnoor bridge on Chandrabhaga is just 7 km up stream of border. Sure OG wallahs get border allowance, but not civilians, even of MES, posted there. OG aur civvy ke liye gaj mein different number of girahs hote hain?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.