Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

Why the PARAs give less importance to body armour?

Discussion in 'Indian Army' started by Sid, Mar 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sid

Sid Captain SENIOR MEMBER

The paracommandos are an elite force of the Indian Army. They get the best training and equipments but why so less importance is given to their body armour:- tin helmets or patkas or not even that, outdated BP jackets, etc;

I thought the two most important things which the 'special forces' special are training and equipment.

General VK Singh himself is a commando with a "Instructor" rating..We have best man at the top post even then I can't see much improvement.

2. Satbir

Satbir 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

The problem is with politicians who want bribes so they chose low quality materials.

3. Spartacus+

Spartacus+ Captain SENIOR MEMBER

It depends on Para commandos what kind of equipment they want Desi or Israeli.
    Indian army will issue tender thats it, its not politicians job to provide equipment to soldiers the main culprits exists in Indian army.

4. Sid

Sid Captain SENIOR MEMBER

I beg to differ. Indian Army has got what it wants, though with a delay. I guess the procurement of Tavor TAR-21s and Galils was a positive step ahead.

But the problem is with the body armour, Our soldiers carry the outdated 20 KG BP vests which do effect the agility in CQB situations.

Besides, there are no Kevlar helmets. We are still using tin top helmets of the world war-II era.

I read somewhere, cant remember exactly where, that there is an Indian company which provides Kevlar Helmets to the US Defence forces.

If this is true, why can't we use our indian resources. Won't it come cheap for us?

Besides, A soldier's life cannot be taken for granted. It cannot be measured in terms of money.

5. Welcome

Welcome 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

no....you r wrong and India is not Pakistan. our military is not free or Unbridled like pak army. Our Ministry of defense(MOD) finalize all the deal of armed forces. it's mean involvement of politician. But in Pakistan "It depends on Para commandos what kind of equipment they want Chinese or American"and how you want it. By beg or by request.

6. Satbir

Yes an Indian company which provides Kevlar Helmets to the US Defence forces and many other forces. It in Kanpur. I am not sure cause I read tht artical long ago. In 2006 however China also started exporting helmets and (That)Indian company lost many contracts because of low prices of chinese product, however within 3 years all the contractors came back to India. When The CEO of the company asked them"Has the Chinese stop export". They said"They were looking for safety helmets and not hats." :partay: :jester:

7. Spartacus+

Spartacus+ Captain SENIOR MEMBER

Complete nonsense
    If army need something they will issue tender and after trails they will sent their final choice to MoD, MoD will approve and issue funds (political involvement at last stage).

No need to derail the thread Pakistani army is very professional shows complete transparency in all deals.
    Indian Army chief is facing threats over 150 howitzers deal this shows corrupt lobby exists in Indian army and it is very strong.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2011
  8. Satbir

Pak Army does not shows complete transparency in deals. The only reason is there is now one to question them.
    And U said MoD political involvement at last stage. Thats the most important phase of the deal. Ultimately In India the MOD desides which one to buy. In pakistan all are corrupted so no one raise fingures on others. And U think there is no corruption in Pakistan.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.