Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

will we buy f-35 or f-16in??

Discussion in 'Indian Air Force' started by harshitrajyaguru, Feb 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skull and Bones

Skull and Bones Doctor Death Staff Member MODERATOR

Country Flag:
    India
    I'm more interested what we'll buy for Naval MRCA, the orders should be well above 60-80.

Choices are.
    1. F-35.
    2. EFT (with CFT & TVC)
    3. Dassalt Rafale
    4. F-18 SH NG
    5. Gripen NG

2. Nagaraj

Nagaraj 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

Is it ok to buy previous gen model(not regarding avionics but airframe and design)F-18 for our future requirment?:hmm:
    and will single engine Grippen be as good as the above mentioned twin engine fighters(except F-35)?
    also do we need EFT, coz any how we r going to get the Rafale for IAF so?:unsure:
    I see lots of people critisizing F35 in this forum but u r suggesting it for our navy!!!:azn:

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  3. AccessDenied

AccessDenied Captain SENIOR MEMBER

HELL no. Too expensive, unreliable sortie record, needs to be 'baby-sat' by better aircrafts while in air, low manuevrability, relies TOO MUCH on stealth, maintenance nightmare so on and so forth.

The rest are excellent options. Although F-18 SH is my personal favourite, Naval Rafale seems to be the most logical choice.:toast_sign:

4. Skull and Bones

Country Flag:
    India
    They bribed me to change the perception of F-35s among forum members. :troll:

1 person likes this.
  5. Picard

Picard Lt. Colonel RESEARCHER

Garbage through and through. Unless you'll thinking about turning them into kamikaze UAVs, but in that case you'd better buy some guided missiles.

Canards may be problematic for approaches, TVC use will screw with visibility for carrier approaches, and will damage Typhoon's close combat capabilities, as for CFT, that's more added weight and drag, though they do have use for strike missions.

Rafale M would be a good option, especially as you already have Rafale in Air Force (parts commonality).

F-18 is old airframe, and Super Hornet is only good for strike missions and little else: too heavy, too high wing loading and too low thrust loading for air to air combat. SH NG is more expensive but no more useful version of Super Hornet.

I'd normally say it's a good option, but sea is rather corrosive environment, so I'm not sure (Gripen has single engine).

6. Picard

Garbage through and through. Unless you'll thinking about turning them into kamikaze UAVs, but in that case you'd better buy some guided missiles.

Canards may be problematic for approaches, TVC use will screw with visibility for carrier approaches, and will damage Typhoon's close combat capabilities, as for CFT, that's more added weight and drag, though they do have use for strike missions.

Rafale M would be a good option, especially as you already have Rafale in Air Force (parts commonality).

F-18 is old airframe, and Super Hornet is only good for strike missions and little else: too heavy, too high wing loading and too low thrust loading for air to air combat. SH NG is more expensive but no more useful version of Super Hornet.

I'd normally say it's a good option, but sea is rather corrosive environment, so I'm not sure (Gripen has single engine).

1 person likes this.
  7. Skull and Bones

Country Flag:
    India
    This was what they were offering for MMRCA.

[​IMG]

And they might offer us EMALS technology for our later carriers, that makes F-18 NG a top contender for N-MRCA.

8. Picard

F-18NG is still F-18. Same aerodynamics, but even higher weight and drag (latter mostly thanks to cocoon), and all for basically nothing.

9. TSUNAMI

TSUNAMI Captain SENIOR MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    Costly, Low performance and maintenance heavy....
    US strings will be attach....
    Also navy might go for CATOBAR configuration in next carrier.

They themselves are not considering it for their own carrier so...

Best choice....

US strings will be attached....

Better go for N-Tejas!!

Also INS Vishal ll be commissioned after 2025.... Why not AMCA???(Just Asking)

10. Nagaraj

Nagaraj 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

Corrupt Baaaboooooooooo...:devilwork:

11. Manmohan Yadav

Manmohan Yadav Brigadier STAR MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    Dassault Rafale
    thats Pretty Much it
    and some FGFA Naval Variant

12. Averageamerican

Averageamerican Colonel ELITE MEMBER

Country Flag:
    United States
    I am not in favor of the F35 for India,,, no offense but its too expensive and too complicated for India and too secret for America to risk the advanced technology to India. It may be too expensive for America and its alllies I would advise India to go European, including the French. Inside the F-35, the futuristic fighter jet - Telegraph It is planned that with upgrades this plane will last america into the 2060s, that leaped a generation of fighters it is so advanced.

Lockheed Martin F22 Raptor and F35 Lightning II - YouTube

13. neil_diablos

neil_diablos Lieutenant SENIOR MEMBER

1. F-35.
    :fuu:

2. EFT (with CFT & TVC)
    Could be a good option but not too sure. Carrier based fighters have to undertake more strike missions than air to air mission and the EFT is yet to evolve into a true omni role aircraft.

3. Dassalt Rafale
    Overall the best choice. Maintenance infrastructure cost would be low as it has been selected in the MMRCA competition. Therefore commonality factor comes into play. HAving said that, I have a bit of a doubt as MMRCA is for the IAF whereas this would be for the Navy which maintains separate operational facilities.

4. F-18 SH NG
    Design and aerodynamics wise, no room to evolve further but excellent avionics. However it is would be the best choice after Rafale M. I am curious to know the improvements SH NG would bring over SH.

5. Gripen NG
    Single engine. Tejas mark II would be a better bet as it offers similar capabilities but at a lower cost.

14. Picard

I believe that Gripen is dirt-strip capable. What about Tejas?

15. Marqueur

Marqueur Peaceful Silence ELITE MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    i guess u forgot about this [MENTION=6121]Skull and Bones[/MENTION]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.