Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

Women can’t be given combat role : Air Chief Marshal P V Naik

Discussion in 'Indian Air Force' started by CONNAN, Mar 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CONNAN

CONNAN Major ELITE MEMBER

Air Chief Marshal P V Naik on 10th march, appeared to suggest that women could not be given combat role in armed forces in the near future considering the specific “sensitivitiesâ€￾ in India. he also said that the issue needs to be discussed further.

women indian armed forces

[​IMG]

Image: MoD

The Indian Air force Chief says that US was considering revising the descision for letting women joining as fighter pilots. “There are few things alarming…. I think, this issue in our environment needs much more discussion,â€￾ he said addressing the Indian Women Press Corps (IWPC). He was replying to a question on the possibility of women being inducted as fighter pilots in IAF.

This very week, the Defence Minister AK Antony had said in the parliament that armed forces are currently facing a shortage of 15,004. The shortage of pilots in the Air Force is about 426.

2. tariqkhan18

tariqkhan18 Major Staff Member ADMINISTRATOR

Country Flag:
    India
    More study before taking in women fighter pilots: IAF chief

New Delhi, March 10 (IANS) Indian Air Force Chief P.V. Naik Thursday admitted that more studies need to be done before a decision is taken to induct women as fighter pilots.

'I am sure that the women will perform, if not better, at least at par with men if they are taken as fighter pilots. But the issue is larger, it is about women in combat and lot of studies need to be done on this,' Naik said.

'Some American studies show that they are thinking of reversing taking in women for combat,' he said.

'The findings of the study have not yet been made public, they consider psychological and medical profile among other factors,' he said.

Naik said that the chiefs of the three armed forces have discussed the issue. 'Any decision should be combined. All three chiefs have discussed this and we think we need more studies.'

'Unlike US or Australia, we have land borders and any war-like activity is within 15 to 20 km of the border. What if a woman has to eject and she lands in enemy territory? We don't doubt their capabilities but these are the issues of concern,' he added.

3. Vritra

Vritra Major ELITE MEMBER

[​IMG]

Source

Wish they'd hurry up with the studies and start taking Indian women in the armed forces more seriously. We can't talk about democratic equality in the face of gender discrimination like this.

1 person likes this.
  4. Satbir

Satbir 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

Womans r already there in Arm forces, but not for extreme situations. Girls who may go for pilot roles would find it difficult to produce a child because of the extreme conditions their body have to undergo, so we have to consider these things. Even if they do get pregnant then they have to Abbot their pilot service. Means all the money put to train them goes wasted. In America girls have to sign an agreement before becoming pilot.
    Hence we need to study it properly.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  5. 500

500 FULL MEMBER

I'm against women in combat roles. They are physically much weaker then men and will be a ballast in unit, plus natural problems of mixed units.

1 person likes this.
  6. Satbir

I dont think we should judge people on male-female bases. We should judge them on their individual merits

1 person likes this.
  7. 500

500 FULL MEMBER

Women are much weaker than men and its unhealthy for women's organism. I dont see any reason to send women to battle while we have so many men around.

8. Vritra

Your statement is completely uncorroborated. If they want to be part of the army, let them pass a tough physical/psychological exam, and then let them in. Misogyny like 'they're naturally physically weaker' doesn't mean squat: they've got muscles, which can be built just the same as men. Satbir's got it right, let them be judged on individual basis.

Psychological tests based around gestalt and cognitivism (two of the most critical strains, I might add) have shown that the critical, tactical and authoritative capacity of women is just as high as men, in some cases, higher. Their martial arts prowess is usually better as far as agility is concerned, though they might not have the natural force the male body can exert. They pass the physical exam, let them in. Don't give daft excuses.

There isn't any good reason to keep them out. Nor does there need to be.

9. Tshering22

Tshering22 Captain SENIOR MEMBER

You know Satbir... 500 has a point. She knows about the situation how extreme things an get in combat and though women have a strong mental endurance, they are still the fairer sex. This is NOT discrimination as feminists and other extreme thinking people think; some things are just not meant for women that's all. Just like how men don't wear bangles and give birth, women also have a specific role for them. They are free to do anything in an open society like ours. There are so many things that women can do: commercial pilots, engineers, technicians, doctors, secondary military service, air traffic control, maintenance, quality control and thousands of other roles that they are free and most welcome to pursue.

Why then push one's limits beyond what is possible?

Listen, we have to think all this in terms of Indian context; In USA and Europe, there is barely any war that is being fought near their mainland countries. This is not the case with us; we have 2 enemies and 2 dubious countries right beside us and hence we cannot risk getting our women into a POW situation. No matter how desirous women might be to join the forces and I don't doubt that they have any less patriotism than the men, still our society is different from Western society and so is our thinking.

Military can grand them permanent commission in non-combatant roles in all 3 branches; you think non-combat isn't as important as combat in military? If so, then you are wrong. They could be incharge of disaster relief teams, and hundreds of other crucial requirements of the armed forces. Why press for fighting roles needlessly under the false banner of "discrimination"? Face it; we might have had Rani Laxmibai and other powerful queens but we aren't a society ready to see female POWs (goodness forbid). It will be too much of a problem for all the tri-services.

10. Satbir

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

500 say the same to these girls :girl_wacko:

Last edited: Mar 17, 2011
  11. Satbir

As I said let us judge them on their individual merits. And before giving them tough roles let study it cairfully. If A girl passes all the tough test and willing to sacrifice her family planing then who r we to stop her.
    For men family planing is only donating sperms but for Women its a process of 9 months.

12. Death.By.Chocolate

Death.By.Chocolate 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

Meagan Varley was told she could never be a combat aviator from the age of 12, her response - "watch me do it".

Jay Consalvi was told his body couldn't handle the rigorous of flying a fast jet after being shot in the face as a teen.

Kalpana Chawla was told by her father that she couldn't fly - she left India and flew the Space Shuttle twice.

I wonder how many more Kalpana Chawla's India will loose, before someone realizes broad exclusions are an injustice to people like Kalpana, Jay and Meagan. I think exceptions should be made for exceptional talent, raise the bar even higher if the IAF have doubts but closing the door is just wrong.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  13. MAFIAN GOD

MAFIAN GOD Captain SENIOR MEMBER

Good info and videos DBC.
    I think IAF and Indian naval aviation arm should at least study the possibilities for women in combat role.

I have one question:-
    Do western countries have women in fighter combat role???
    If yes then I guess Indian women can also do the same.

14. MAFIAN GOD

MAFIAN GOD Captain SENIOR MEMBER

15. Vritra

Of course.

Colonel Martha McSally - Flew the A-10 Thunderbolt II, and managed to fly the thing back to base despite severe damage.
    Lieutenant General Janet C. Wolfenbarger - Flew C-17s for the USAF.

Flight Lieutenant Jo Salter - Flew Tornado GR.4s for the RAF.

Flight Lieutenant Michelle Goodman - First female combat pilot in the RAF to receive a Distinguished Flying Cross for her actions over Iraq in 2007.

Conclusion: Yeah, they can fly. Fly well, too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.