Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

Women can’t be given combat role : Air Chief Marshal P V Naik

Discussion in 'Indian Air Force' started by CONNAN, Mar 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Naren1987

Naren1987 Captain SENIOR MEMBER

We have a shortage of pilots, so why waste the talent pool.
    And I'm pretty sure I've heard of female Russian aces during WW2.

2. Death.By.Chocolate

Death.By.Chocolate 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

Yes!

Capt. Jammie Jamieson, F-22 Raptor
    [​IMG]

Lt. Loree Draude Hirschman F/A-18 USN
    [​IMG]

Lt Elizabeth Pham (First F/A-18 all female crew) flew a 130 combat missions in Iraq.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  3. JanjaWeed

JanjaWeed Captain SENIOR MEMBER

why can't women have the combat role in airforce? i thought women can match men toe to toe in any area apart from muscle power, which i don't think is of any major significance when it comes to air combat!! sheer discrimination, if you ask me!!

4. 500

500 FULL MEMBER

Actually I saw one program, they compared bodybuilder women with very mediocre guys, so guys were stronger. Even if there is 1 in 100 woman equal to men putting her into unit does not make sense because it creates lots of problems: separate room, shower etc.

5. Satbir

Satbir 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

If there is 1 women to 100 men ratio then that means 1 group of women to 100 group of men ratio. Give one room to female group and 100 to male group. No problem

6. abirbec04

abirbec04 Captain SENIOR MEMBER

What a ridiculous thread, Air Chief Naik didn't say anything that cannot be taken care of. Women make up 50% of the population. What are you going to do, ask half of your able bodied individuals to sit at home and cook. This is so 5th Century B.C. caveman kind of thinking. Women are just as good as men with a gun in their hands. Close combat maybe an issue but flying a plane, now c'mon.

As far as Air Chief's comments are concerned, women joining the air force can be asked to sign an agreement whereby they won't be able to have children till they hang their boots. The only grime about having women in combat role is that no country wants their girls to be captured by the enemy and tortured as POWs. But when women can rule a country, they sure can fly a plane.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2011
  7. AVADI

AVADI Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

I don't know why people always take the example of USA for any Cultural advancement. Just because US or other western nation does one thing does not mean that it is right for India. What previous or Current IAF chief's have problem is only in letting the women in combat roles not in any other roles.I can't understand why people have problem with this. We should respect our cultural sensitivity.

On a lighter note: women at least leave one field exclusive to men.:partay:

8. Naren1987

What cultural sensitivity?
    Should we legalise Sati again?
    If Pakistan, an Islamic nation can have hemale fighter pilots,
    Then why not in India, a secular nation?
    The West doesn't have pilot shortage like India, so why not learn from them.

9. AVADI

I don't see normal woman wearing biking when i go to Marina Beach.Because Culturally it is not appropriate.

When a woman get captured behind the enemy lines it is a different ball game.

10. uptotrix

uptotrix Captain SENIOR MEMBER

Stop playing the culture card. It's not for you to decide what's appropriate, every individual has the right to do what he/she wants.

11. AVADI

Yes i am all for it. An individual has every right to do what he or she desires . What i am speaking about is women in Combat duty in IAF and my reply was to the person who raised a particular question.

12. uptotrix

uptotrix Captain SENIOR MEMBER

IAF is much safer for women than being in the Army. As for being captured as PoW - yes it is true abuses have happened in the past, during the Iraq war some women combatants were captured and tortured. But again it's for them to decide whether they want to join, all combatants know what happens when they are captured. All of them suffer, not just women.

13. AVADI

Well i agree with each and every valid point you raise but take a scenario women are allowed in the combat duty and there is a skirmish between India and Pokistan and one of our female aviators in line of duty gets captured what do you think the scenario will be here. All news media flashing that a Indian Woman have been captured and government not doing enough. Which will force India to take some drastic step and give in to the Pakistani black mail.

14. A haseeb A

A haseeb A Captain SENIOR MEMBER

Nah,women are never good for combat...they can easily lose self-control under high pressure situations...and if caught by enemy,then be prepared to lose everything(information) she knows to the enemy...

15. Naren1987

Oh please, you ppl are more concerned about Bikinis than the skewed sex ratio, and pray tell me, what does it have to do with flying planes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.