Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

Writing a novel --- need help!

Discussion in 'Indian Air Force' started by BogeyOnSix, Mar 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BogeyOnSix

BogeyOnSix REGISTERED

I am writing a novel involving the Indian Air Force and wanted to ask some questions regarding their functions and what I can and cannot write about. First of all, the story is set in the year 2020 and involves a fictional war in the Middle East between two factions, the area having been broken up into city states that are either part of one faction or the other, much like the Cold War.

Faction B is bigger than A and wishes to take-over the entire Middle East through brute force while B wishes-to stay independent. India gets involved because we are allies with B (I want to say Israel but do not know the actual political relationship and won't mention it if it's a problem).

The war is in a stalemate position and B is desperate to win. It's not quite a Tom Clancy techno thriller and is more about the characters involved and the psychological effects of war. There are science fiction elements but fairly grounded (EMP bombs are the extreme here)

Now here are my questions:

1. If the IAF is deployed abroad for whatever reason, how would they do it? Can someone give me an idea of the procedures? If and how they would set up a base and such? Does that even happen or would the armed forces deploy as a single unit?

2. Who is the highest ranking officer in any base? Which is the highest rank allowed to fly? Who\Which officer would give briefings on a mission and such?

3. The average daily routine on a base. What kind of daily drills? Any free time? I assume they cannot leave the base BUT any exceptions?

4. The protagonist is a Flight Lieutenant. Would he/she have any leadership role? Are officers allowed to have any personal belongings (say a picture or books)?

5. The types of aircraft. I am assuming a number of fighters, interceptors, bombers, AWACS but is there a mixed number (5 Jaguars, 4 Sukhoi's) or do you keep single-type for single role? Any exceptions?

6. Logistics. How would they bring in equipment? Supplies and provisions?

7. Tenure. The war will last for an indefinite amount of time but how long are officers expected to serve?

8. What kind of ground crew would be present? Engineers and such?

I would appreciate any other comments or guidance.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  2. SajeevJino

SajeevJino Major SENIOR MEMBER

Can you Just tell me Something about you..................

3. BogeyOnSix

BogeyOnSix REGISTERED

Um... I am a final semester College student. I am from New Delhi

4. Manmohan Yadav

Manmohan Yadav Brigadier STAR MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    You need to study about Air Force much more,
    if you wanna write a novel.
    Hang around the IDF for a year or so,
    you will learn all you want to know to write a novel :rockroll:

5. BogeyOnSix

BogeyOnSix REGISTERED

I love how no one is actually answering my questions instead giving vague advice. Yes I need to study about the air force more, which is why I am asking. Most of the discussions on the site are news about obtaining new aircraft, the occasional mishap or politics and not about how they go about their daily business. Especially, considering I am asking about a fictional war scenario

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  6. uptotrix

uptotrix Captain SENIOR MEMBER

I really don't know what to answer, I know what pilots carry in their lunch box during flights. A calorie heavy sandwich...not to mention paratas and kulfi in our aircraft carrier....yum yum :tongue:

btw, I am writing a novel in my spare time as well, it's more of a fantasy Lord of the Rings type.

7. tunguska

tunguska Major SENIOR MEMBER

Buddy ,This song will help you for sure. This is my Favorite song for IAF.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2014
    2 people like this.
  8. uptotrix

^^ that's a good advice :yahoo:

:india:

9. tunguska

tunguska Major SENIOR MEMBER

do u like the song?

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  10. uptotrix

Yep, I think I have it in my playlist.

1 person likes this.
  11. Nirvana

Nirvana Major SENIOR MEMBER

Let me answer best to my knowledge

2.A "wing" is termed as an active air bases in IAF and is commanded by "Wing Commander",while a Wing may have more than one Squadron of aircraft which are commanded by "Squadron leader".So a wing commander is Highest ranking officer in an IAF base followed by Squadron leader.

Both the Squadron leader and Wing commander brief the wing on Missions if i am not wrong.

You can recheck with any professional here

4.Yes they are allowed to have personal belonging like photos etc.

5. A Squadron will consist of a single type of an Aircraft given a specific role.A squadron Never consist of an Mixed type of aircraft.An operational air base may have more than one type of aircraft constituting different squadron with different role.

For E.g : - Jaguars and Mig 27 are specifically meant for "Ground attack" in IAF

This is best of my knowledge,i may be wrong.

I suggest you take an help of an Professional and good Luck

12. Nirvana

The ground crew which consist of Engineers mainly take care of Maintenance and repairs in an Air base

13. Nirvana

Logistics can be supplied by all the three means - Air ,Ground ,and water

In a war scenario,Mechanized equipments like Artillery,guns,tanks,Combat vehicles and other can be airlifted through cargo Planes / or via Land route,rail,Military vehicles.Even a ship for that matter.

14. BogeyOnSix

BogeyOnSix REGISTERED

Thanks for the information!

15. Guynextdoor

Guynextdoor Lt. Colonel SENIOR MEMBER

I have a question that's been taunting me. Fighter pilots...do they wear diapers like astronauts. I mean, if you count mid air refueeling, long range missons and stuff, won't you wanna go to the loo some time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.